Download our Active Marion Project 2 app to help you stay consistent with exercise and physical activity!
Research indicates that health information technology is an effective tool for physical activity interventions and over 30% of cell phone owners use their phones to seek health information. Our competition-based smart phone application tracks activity, provides health information, and rewards users for physical activity.
Here’s why you’ll love it
- Free to download – available for IOS and Android smart devices
- Integrates with FitBit, Apple Health, and Google Fit
- Earn points for each step. The more points = more rewards
- Redeem rewards with any of our participating partners
- Join a team to build a social support network and view leader boards
- Quarterly challenges and recognition
How to Download
Why should I sign up?
Consistent physical activity, including walking, has been shown to improve quality of life, promote healthy aging, maintain mental health, and prevent chronic disease. To encourage Marion County to be more physically active, we created the AMP 2 smart phone application. The app is an innovative health initiative, developed by the Marion County Hospital District, which uses friendly competition to encourage people to engage in physical activity in our communities.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Participating in regular physical activity provides many health benefits… [and reduces] risk of some health conditions.”
AMP 2 is a free tool to use to track your steps and have fun while doing it.
How are steps calculated? Do I need to wear a fitness tracker?
All step data for AMP 2 is gathered from IOS (Apple) Health or Google Fit Health, which are standard health apps on more recent smartphones. If you use a wearable fitness tracker, make sure that you allow Apple Health or Google Fit to sync up with your device. Every time you open the AMP 2 app, your steps will automatically update and so will the leaderboards. Remember to open the app frequently to make sure your steps are being properly synced and updated.
No manual data entry is required. It is recommended to use a fitness tracker for the best and most accurate tracking. If you don’t have a wearable fitness tracker, your iPhone or Android will still track your steps automatically.
How many steps should I take per day?
Can I include other physical activity besides walking?
How do I sync my fitness tracker?
AMP 2 can directly sync to FitBit with no 3rd party apps needed.
If you are having trouble with the app syncing to your device, please make sure you have the latest version of the AMP 2 app. If that does not work, please shoot us an email, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can help.
How do I earn points?
Earn 1 point for every 100 steps you walk in a day (no more than 200 points per day = 20,000 steps).
Each quarter, badges are awarded based on your points. Every quarter the points go back to zero. Check out social media for quarterly prizes and user recognition.
- Bronze Level – 3,000 points = average of 3,500 steps per day
- Silver Level – 6,000 points= average of 6,700 steps per day
- Gold Level – 9,000 points = average of 10,000 steps per day. This is the recommended steps per day by the American Heart Association
Platinum Level – 15,000 points = average of 17,000 steps per day
How do I create and join a team?
You can use the app as an individual, but teams are encouraged. Teams can include work associates, neighbors, family members, community teams or organizations, etc.
Teams and/or top performers will be recognized quarterly and may be awarded prizes. Teams have to be 3 or more people and can be a group of friends, family, workplace colleagues or departments; all shapes and ages. The app will display your personal steps, as well as the individuals on your team. You can view your team compared to other teams as well.
How to create and join your team:
- Open the “Groups” page.
- If you are joining an existing team, click “Join a Group.”
- Use the search bar to find your team name and click “Request to join.” You can only be on one team.
- If you are creating a new team, click “Create a Group” and input team name. Share your team name with other team members via text, email, or social media so they can request to join.
- Once your team is created, you can view your roster through the “Leader Boards.”
- See how your team is doing compared to other teams by clicking on the “Global” tab. Global leaders are determined by dividing the total numbers of points for a team by the number of team members.
- Team names can be edited if needed. To change your team name, contact your team leader who has permissions to edit the team name, or contact AMP if you need additional support.
To remove members from your group, select “Group Settings”.
What are Badges?
Badges are awarded to recognize achievements within the app.
Quarterly Achievement Badge – Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum badge earned each quarter (based on points). Please email email@example.com with questions
With each badge, you will be able to earn a reward from a local partnering business.
When a user earns a certain number of points (100 steps=1 point) they can earn the partner rewards. The number of points needed quarterly to earn each badge and reward is as follows:
- Bonze- 3,000 points
- Silver- 6,000 points
- Gold- 9,000 points
- Platinum- 15,000 points
The partner rewards change each quarter. When a user earns the first reward (Smoothie King) they will get a notification on the app that they have earned the reward and they can choose to redeem the reward or keep going to earn additional rewards.